Monday, May 24, 2010

Mascara comparison mega post!

Yes, I know this is a nail blog but nails are closely related to one of my other loves: cosmetics. And one cosmetic staple is mascara. They release a LOT of new gimmicks and formulas and it is hard to know what is and isn't going to work. I figured I would swatch my collection and give you some mini reviews so you can see how well different mascaras match up. As of right now I believe these are all currently available.

All swatches are done on clean eyelashes- no primers, no eyelash curlers and no combing out the clumps! All mascaras are the blackest black you can get from that line. This way you can see exactly what you are getting from each tube:) I don't have a macro lens so the picture may be a little iffy. All pictures are bigger if clicked!

I will mention that my lashes on my left eye grow in weird clumps and mascaras swatched on that eye will appear a little more clumpy than they should ;)

First off: my bare eyelashes!

Mascara #1- L'Oreal Telescopic Explosion
This is the newest brush gimmick: weird round thing. It is supposed to allow you to lengthen and separate every lash from any angle and get every last little lash. I do like this mascara except for one problem: when you try to get the inner lashes your outer ones hit the wand where there is all this caked up mascara causing huge clumps! I've tried scraping it off first but it doesn't work. It is a little too much work to get it to come out right but it does look great. The formula smudges really easy though.

Mascara #2- Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express

I actually love this one! At least the formula. It separates nicely like it should and it lengthens tons! Look at my bottom lashes- check those babies out! It doesn't give a lot of curl but when I wore this to go out I felt like I was almost wearing fake lashes. I like the huge lashes look so this makes me really happy. The big downside though- this brush is huge and clumsy! It is seriously monstrous. I thought the name colossal was for the way the lashes look but nope- must be the brush!

Mascara #3- L'Oreal Extra-Volume Collagen Waterproof
This is on my mascara crap list. Ugh. It DOES curl the lashes pretty well but other than that...it is a clumpy hard to use mess. It takes a LOT of effort to get this to not be a giant clump and it is just not worth it for the outcome. Do not recommend this at all!

Mascara #4- L'Oreal Double Extend
This was one of those that came with a primer. This is an okay mascara, doesn't do anything great. The primer is supposed to help build length but doesn't seem to. The color of the primer is whitish so when you apply the black over it it just turns gray. The cool thing about it though is that it comes off easy in weird little tubes! All in all the primer thing is more work than it is worth and I will pass on other mascaras like this.

Mascara #5- Rimmel Glam'Eyes
I've tried many Rimmel mascaras over the last couple years and I've found all of them to be decent. Not usually anything groundbreaking but at a couple dollars cheaper than most other brands they are worth a look. This is a pretty good stand-by that I wear on "little" makeup days.

Mascara #6- Maybelline Lash Stiletto
My favorite mascara of the bunch! This stuff does a lotta separating, lotta lengthening, little curling and the color is black black black. Love! I love the formula- it is the right kind of "wet" and it applies like a dream. The brush is simple and not to huge or small. All around great mascara!

Mascara #7- Cover Girl Lash Blast Luxe
This is supposed to be a "shimmery" mascara to highlight and bring out the eyes. Eh, nothing great. It is basically a metallic dark gray color that you can slightly see on the bottom lashes. Really not all that eye-catching and kinda disappointing. The formula is nothing great although a little clumpy, I would pass on this one.

So that does it!

What mascara do ya'all use? Any horrible ones that stand out? I'm curious :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for comparison i love L'Oreal Extra-Volume Collagen Waterproof! :)

Lucy said...

I hate Maybelline's Great Lash. I really don't know what everyone loves about it. My favorite mascara is Lancom's Hypnose. Really lengthens and thickens lashes. When I wear it my lashes hit my glasses. Annoying but totally worth it.

About Me

My Photo
Dainty Darling Digits
Upstate, NY, United States
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers

Labels

3d nail art (1) apollo (4) Avon (1) bbw (1) beads (1) black (11) blog sale (1) blue (43) blush (1) bm16 (1) bm19 (1) bm20 (1) borghese (1) brown (8) bundle monster (4) Chameleon (2) china glaze (32) claire's (5) claires (3) color club (6) color fever (1) comparisions (2) comparisons (4) confetti (1) contest (1) copper (1) coral (5) coral lipstick (8) cosmetology (1) cover girl (6) CQ (2) crackle (6) disaster (1) dollar tree (1) duochrome (2) dupes (4) essence of beauty (1) Essie (13) Eyeko (3) eyelash curlers (1) eyeliner (5) eyeshadow (20) fake nails (1) favorites (1) fimo (3) fingerpaints (1) foil (1) for audrey (1) FOTD (36) fotd: brown (1) fotd: classic (1) fotd: gold (7) fotd: green (6) fotd: neutral (5) fotd: orange (1) fotd: pink (4) FOTD: Purple (11) fotd: red (1) FOTD: smoky (8) FOTD: Yellow (5) fotd:black (2) FOTD:blue (10) fotd:pink (3) foundation (2) franken (4) french (5) funky fingers (2) Fyrinnae (18) gel polish (1) giveaway (8) glitter (42) gold (14) gray (4) green (30) greige (1) grey (1) hair (4) halloween (9) hard candy (7) haul (5) high voltage (1) holo (4) incoco (2) jelly (3) jesse's girl (3) kiss (1) konad (13) L'Oreal (4) LA colors (1) la girl (1) Lancome (1) lime crime (1) lipgloss (8) lipstain (2) lipstick (24) lockerz (2) lotion (3) m59 (1) m79 (1) MAC (30) makeup (30) manly 120 (17) mascara (2) matte (5) Maybelline (17) metallic (4) Milani (18) mufe (3) N.Y.C. (2) nail art (13) nail fraud (1) nail stickers (1) naked nails (1) naked palette (1) neon (3) neutral (2) neutrogena (1) nicole by opi (7) nivea (1) nude lipstick (5) nutra nail (1) nyc (6) nyx (3) occ (2) OPI (24) opi. blue (1) orange (27) orange lipstick (3) orly (17) peach (4) pearls (1) perfume (1) petites (5) pink (41) pink lipstick (12) plate m56 (1) powder (1) prestige (3) primer (1) Pure Ice (2) purple (25) purple lipstick (4) random (1) recreation (1) red (24) red lipstick (17) reviews (23) revlon (13) rhinestones (1) rimmel (1) Sally Girl (2) Sally Hansen (40) scotch tape (1) sephora (1) sheer (5) shimmer (2) shimmer lipstick (1) shine of the times (1) shiro (2) shoes (1) shopping (1) silver (5) sinful (17) skincare (1) skrinkle (1) soap (1) sparkly nails (1) staining (1) storage (1) sugarpill (1) sula (1) swatches (3) tattoos (1) teal (1) top speed (1) travel (1) urban decay (6) vampy lipstick (2) vampy polish (2) Venomous Villians (2) Wet n wild (15) whats in my bag (1) white (3) yellow (11) zoya (7)

My Blog List

Follow Dainty Darling Digits